Serves: 4 (12-14 pieces)
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
- 1 large – French Baguette
- Olive oil for brushing
- 200g smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup fresh Dill
- 1 Tbsp. Super Sprout Broccoli Powder
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
Quick pickled red onions*:
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small dried red chili
- 2 cups boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Slice the baguette into 12-14 pieces and brush them with olive oil.
- Place on a baking tray and broil for 5 minutes until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
To pickle the onions:
- 1Peel and very thinly slice the onion into half moon shapes.
- 2In a glass jar, dissolve the sugar and salt with the vinegar. Add the chili and stir to combine.
- 3In a medium bowl, add the onions and pour the boiled water over to submerge. Let it sit for a few minutes, then drain.
- 4Add the softened onions to the glass jar and stir with the vinegar. Set aside to marinate.
To make the pesto:
- 1Core and deseed the avocado, roughly chop the walnuts, and pick only the dill leaves, discarding the stems.
- 2In a small food processor, combine all the ingredients and pulse until slightly chunky and creamy.
- 3Arrange the crostini onto a platter, spread each one with a full tsp of pesto, and top with a couple slices of smoked salmon, tomato halves, capers, and pickled onion.
- 4Garnish with extra dill leaves and enjoy immediately.
* Pickling is optional, but adds wonderful flavour contrast to the salmon and is ready by the time everything else is assembled..
Alternatively, you may just use thinly sliced shallots to top of the crostini’s.